Columbus Circle, Steamboat Springs & the Queens Museum. When computers began to be used in architectural offices, they were unstable and relatively primitive. I lived through that period of frustration, elation and work-a-rounds. This is just one of a number of posts I want to write about it – partly, just to leave a record of the work, but mainly as an example of mixing the digital with the hand. In the early 1980s 3D computer modeling was not an option in architectural offices. Just buying a computer with the requisite memory and graphics was way too expensive. But in 1985 the office in which I worked bought an early CAD computer and a very early version of AutoCad, which was used for Building Department submission drawings. Simple diagramatic drawings were created, with much computer crashing and gnashing of teeth. The simplest 3D modeling was a faint glimmer in the recesses of that early software. The layout above was done for the Columbus Circle Comp...
Illustration from Harvard Magazine In the latest Harvard Magazine is an excerpt from a new book by Maria Konnikova: Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes. In the book is a conversation between Holmes and Dr. Watson from Doyle’s “A Scandal in Bohemia” which points to the necessity of “observing” rather than “seeing”. “You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear. For example, you have frequently seen the steps which lead up from the hall to this room.” “Frequently.” “How often?” “Well, some hundreds of times.” “Then how many are there?” “How many? I don’t know.” “Quite so! You have not observed. And yet you have seen. That is just my point. Now, I know that there are seventeen steps, because I have both seen and observed.” I couldn’t agree more with Ms Konnikova. In the business of architectural illustration we tend to focus on the basics of constructing a model, a view and an accurate rendering. We don’t put much emphasis on looking at ...
My server is on the blink, blocking access to something I was working on. So I thought I’d dump some desktop images into the blog for fun. I have occasionally tried drawing or painting portraits, but being shy, I have usually based any work on photographs. This allows me to work on my own schedule, and be as relaxed and boring as I want. Self portraits are perfect since the subject is just as shy and boring as I am, eliminating any embarrassment to all concerned. Also the subject is docile and follows instructions perfectly (and never needs a break until I do). Smells like teen… whatever. Normally I would drone on about technique, color and composition, not to mention the need to draw, draw, draw. But this is for fun, so a line or two will do. Ink, Xerox & watercolor. My hair was never that red. … and this is your self portrait on drugs. So sad. First attempt at a real oil portrait. Thought it was genius at the ti...
Comments
Post a Comment